Monday, January 12, 2009

I never have any luck with lentils or peas!

Last night I got the great idea that I wanted to make golden split pea soup so I threw the stuff together and had it cooking in the crock pot thinking that it would be ready but guess what? The peas were still hard! Even after initially cooking them and letting them set for an hour. I have the same luck with lentils, they just never come out! I just don't get it.

I got back in the pool yesterday and it felt terrific. I wore my heart monitor to see how much of a workout I got and I was surprised by the results. For 45 minutes, I burned 343 calories, my maxium heart rate was 142. Which was semi-surprising because I swam for 15 minutes straight twice so I thought my heart rate would be higher than it. On my regular cardio workouts, for 45 minutes of working out, I would have been around 520 calories. I'm going to treat swimming like a reward. I figure if I can get my bottom to the gym 5 times a week, I will treat myself on the 6th day with swimming.

I usually am not around to watch Oprah but I caught some of her show today about the weightloss issue and it looked good. It was sad to see how the Biggest Loser man weighs over 300 pounds and the woman who was on the show who wore bikini in 2003gained it back. It just goes back to how really easy it is to lose the weight but to maintain the loss is so much harder. Which is true. How many times has one's weight been a true yo-you situation. Mine sure has. It all started in 1985 after we moved after having the house fire. From then on, I've bounced somewhat. Like 5-10th grade I had weight issues, I was a normal weight from 11th grade until I was a college freshman, then total obesity from college junior until I was 26 then the weight slowly came back until I decided to do something about it. I've spent the majority of my life with having some extra pounds on my. Where I think I am stronger now more than before is that I no longer loathe myself or feel uncomfortable in my own skin. I remember when I was 20ish, I would spend nights, crying to sleep over my weight. This hasn't happened for since I was about 22. I like who I am. I think what I am doing now is only helping me for the long run. I pretty much new how to eat (well minus the dining out stuff and eating over 1500 calories) but the exercise stuff I never really got until the class. I feel like that is the missing link to my success. I love going to the gym and working out. It's like my "me time" and I make it a priority. Well, that's it for me tonight, take care all-Kellie

No comments: